Hyperion Expands Portfolio of Titanium Metal Technology
(firmenpresse) - 10 June 2021
- Hyperion has secured the exclusive rights to the patented Granulation-Sintering-Deoxygenation (GSD) technology developed by Dr. Z. Zak Fang for producing zero carbon, low-cost spherical titanium powders.
- GSD offers major advantages in the production of spherical titanium for use in 3D printing, including;
- Production of titanium and titanium alloy powders with low oxygen, controllable particle size and excellent flowability
- Higher manufacturing yields than current processes, leading to significantly lower costs
- Energy efficient process leading to a zero carbon process when coupled with renewable power
- Ability to utilize lower cost and sustainable feedstocks including recycled titanium metal powders/scrap or HAMR titanium powders
- The combination of producing titanium metal via the HAMR process followed by the production of titanium spherical powders via the GSD process has the potential to substantially reduce the total cost of titanium powders for 3D printing, opening up many potential new markets.
- The combination of these technologies has the potential to disrupt not just the high value titanium metals and powders market, but also the far larger aluminum and stainless-steel markets.
- Dr. Fang is a Professor of Metallurgy at the University of Utah. The HAMR and GSD technologies were developed, in part, with the financial support provided by the Advanced Research Project Agency-Energy (ARPA-E) of the US Department of Energy from 2014-2019:
- Dr. Fang is a leader in global advanced materials and manufacturing technologies for energy production, storage, and efficiency applications and is the sole or co-inventor on more than 50 U.S. patents
- ARPA-E has provided over US$2.6 billion in R&D funding for more than 1,000 potentially transformational energy technology projects
- ARPA-E analyzes and catalogues some of the Agencys most successful projects through its Impact Sheets, which explore a range of individual projects and their achievements
Weitere Infos zu dieser Pressemeldung:
- The Impact Sheet for the HAMR and GSD technologies is available here: https://arpa-e.energy.gov/impact-sheet/university-utah-metals (Appendix II)
- Further development and optimization of titanium products from the HAMR and GSD technologies has occurred subsequent to the ARPA-E funded activities
- The Company is making significant progress with Dr. Fang and his team in Utah on both the HAMR and GSD technologies and expects to make key updates, including:
- HAMR powder production using the companys titanium minerals from the Titan project
- Commencement of GSD powder production from HAMR titanium powders and/or titanium recycled scrap
- Techno-economic assessment for the scale up of production of titanium metal and powders
10 June 2021 - Hyperion Metals Limited (ASX: HYM) (Hyperion or the Company) is pleased to announce that it has entered into an agreement with Blacksand Technology, LLC (Blacksand) to investigate the commercial development of spherical titanium metal powders using the GSD technology and an option to enter into an exclusive license agreement for the patents associated with the technology (the Agreements).
This follows from the previous agreement with Blacksand for the HAMR technology (refer ASX announcement dated 15 February 2021) which when combined with GSD and Hyperions Titan Project, has the potential to provide a sustainable, zero carbon, low-cost and fully integrated titanium spherical metal powder supply chain in the USA.
Commenting on the agreement, Mr. Anastasios Arima, CEO and MD of Hyperion Metals, said:
Titanium metal is the superior metal for a wide range of advanced applications, from aerospace to defense, and it should also be the logical choice for industrial and civilian applications. Titaniums widespread adoption has been held back in sectors such as consumer goods and electric vehicles due to its high cost.
The combination of the patented HAMR and GSD technologies together with advances in 3D printing offers a pathway to dramatically reduce the cost and carbon emissions of titanium metal components. Furthermore, recent studies by the Fraunhofer Institute have shown that the fabrication of titanium parts using laser powder-bed additive (a 3D printing technique), emits approximately 70% less CO2 than equivalent production by traditional milling processes.
Hyperions vision is to utilize these sustainable technologies and accelerate the rapid penetration of titanium in current and widespread applications in next generation mobility. The light weighting of trucks, trains, drones and electric vehicles will lead to a quantum leap in the energy efficiency of these vehicles and will be large, high growth new markets for titanium.
We aim to scale and commercialize these breakthrough technologies, make the US the global leader in titanium production and deliver technological leadership for in titanium applications for aerospace, space and defense.
Commenting on the agreement, Dr. Z. Zak Fang said:
We look forward to commercializing the HAMR and GSD technologies with Hyperion Metals. These technologies have produced titanium metal and powders that consistently met the purity requirements defined by industry standards and they have the potential to significantly lower the costs and carbon emissions of producing titanium metal and powders.
These technologies have the capacity to drastically alter the titanium, stainless steel and aluminum markets and increase the range of applications for high performance, lightweight and low-cost titanium parts.
This announcement has been authorized for release by the CEO and Managing Director.
For further information, please contact:
Anastasios (Taso) Arima, CEO & Managing Director
+1 347 899 1522
Dominic Allen, Corporate Development
+61 468 544 888
Please follow the link to view original news in English:
About Hyperion Metals
Hyperions mission is to be the leading developer of zero carbon, sustainable, critical material supply chains for advanced American industries including space, aerospace, electric vehicles and 3D printing.
The Company holds a 100% interest in the Titan Project, covering nearly 6,000 acres of titanium, rare earth minerals, high grade silica sand and zircon rich mineral sands properties in Tennessee, USA. The Titan Project is strategically located in the southeast of the USA, with low-cost road, rail and water logistics connecting it to world class manufacturing industries.
Hyperion has secured options for the exclusive license to produce low carbon titanium metal and spherical powers using the breakthrough HAMR & GSD technologies. The HAMR & GSD technologies were invented by Dr. Z. Zak Fang and his team at the University of Utah with government funding from ARPA-E.
The HAMR technology has demonstrated the potential to produce titanium powders with low-to-zero carbon intensity, significantly lower energy consumption, significantly lower cost and at product qualities which exceed current industry standards. The GSD technology is a thermochemical process combining low cost feedstock material with high yield production, and can produce spherical titanium and titanium alloy powders at a fraction of the cost of comparable commercial powders.
Hyperion also has signed an MOU to establish a partnership with Energy Fuels (NYSE:UUUU) that aims to build an integrated, all-American rare earths supply chain. The MOU will evaluate the potential supply of rare earth minerals from Hyperions Titan Project to Energy Fuels for value added processing at Energy Fuels White Mesa Mill. Rare earths are highly valued as critical materials for magnet production essential for wind turbines, EVs, consumer electronics and military applications.
Forward looking statements
Information included in this release constitutes forward-looking statements. Often, but not always, forward looking statements can generally be identified by the use of forward-looking words such as may, will, expect, intend, plan, estimate, anticipate, continue, and guidance, or other similar words and may include, without limitation, statements regarding plans, strategies and objectives of management, anticipated production or construction commencement dates and expected costs or production outputs.
Forward looking statements inherently involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause the Companys actual results, performance, and achievements to differ materially from any future results, performance or achievements. Relevant factors may include, but are not limited to, changes in commodity prices, foreign exchange fluctuations and general economic conditions, increased costs and demand for production inputs, the speculative nature of exploration and project development, including the risks of obtaining necessary licenses and permits and diminishing quantities or grades of reserves, political and social risks, changes to the regulatory framework within which the company operates or may in the future operate, environmental conditions including extreme weather conditions, recruitment and retention of personnel, industrial relations issues and litigation.
Forward looking statements are based on the Company and its managements good faith assumptions relating to the financial, market, regulatory and other relevant environments that will exist and affect the Companys business and operations in the future. The Company does not give any assurance that the assumptions on which forward looking statements are based will prove to be correct, or that the Companys business or operations will not be affected in any material manner by these or other factors not foreseen or foreseeable by the Company or management or beyond the Companys control.
Although the Company attempts and has attempted to identify factors that would cause actual actions, events or results to differ materially from those disclosed in forward looking statements, there may be other factors that could cause actual results, performance, achievements or events not to be as anticipated, estimated or intended, and many events are beyond the reasonable control of the Company. Accordingly, readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on forward looking statements. Forward looking statements in these materials speak only at the date of issue. Subject to any continuing obligations under applicable law or any relevant stock exchange listing rules, in providing this information the company does not undertake any obligation to publicly update or revise any of the forward-looking statements or to advise of any change in events, conditions or circumstances on which any such statement is based.
Competent Persons Statement
The information in this announcement that relates to the Titan Project Exploration Results is extracted from Hyperions ASX Announcements dated 6 May 2021, 10 March 2021 and 7 January 2021 (Original ASX Announcements) which are available to view at Hyperions website at www.hyperionmetals.us. Hyperion confirms that a) it is not aware of any new information or data that materially affects the information included in the Original ASX Announcements; b) all material assumptions included in the Original ASX Announcements continue to apply and have not materially changed; and c) the form and context in which the relevant Competent Persons findings are presented in this report have not been materially changed from the Original ASX Announcements
Themen in dieser Pressemitteilung:
Unternehmensinformation / Kurzprofil:
Datum: 10.06.2021 - 05:37 Uhr
Anzahl Zeichen: 3544
Typ of Press Release:
type of sending:
Date of sending:
Diese Pressemitteilung wurde bisher 175 mal aufgerufen.
Die Pressemitteilung mit dem Titel:
"Hyperion Expands Portfolio of Titanium Metal Technology
steht unter der journalistisch-redaktionellen Verantwortung von
Hyperion Metals Limited (Nachricht senden)
Beachten Sie bitte die weiteren Informationen zum Haftungsauschluß (gemäß TMG - TeleMedianGesetz) und dem Datenschutz (gemäß der DSGVO).